Thread: New Cranks for 1998 RM 125

Question New Cranks for 1998 RM 125

I was riding my bike yesterday when the bike suddenly stopped with no warning. I took it apart that night and realized, the piston had some scrape marks and the rod had some up/down play (I heard it's not suppose to). I also found that on the right side of the rod there are some heat marks that indicate something got hot and maybe over heated cause the seizure. Either way, I am pricing out Crankshafts and for some reason Weisco and Hot Rods do not make an aftermarket crank for the 98 RM year.....? Is this true, do i have to have the crank rebuilt or buy an OEM one? Please let me know, thanks.

the heat marks are there most likely from when they put a new rod on. The heat marks should only be around the crank pin on one side. i would bring it in to a shop and have them look at it. the same thing happened to me and i thought i had to get a whole bottom end. but all i had to get was the pin bearings rod and thrust washers. And OEM is about $800. so i would try to get it fixed for about 200. Motosport has a rod kit for (I think) $75. and then its an hour of work so expect to pay about $80 to have it pressed on.